PUNCHouse Project 234, designed by Marco DMaccio is featured on HGTV’s new show “HOLLYWOOD AT HOME”. The home, owned by Lisa Ling and Dr. Paul Song, is a stunning example of the best of two worlds – DiMaccio’s remarkable integrated architectural, interior and landscape design and the energy independence that meets the strict guidelines for sustainable building practices set forth by the USGBC - LEED for Homes Certification program.
Project 234 has the distinction of being the first Energy Neutral Home in Santa Monica California, and will have the highest level - Platinum Level - LEED For Home Certification.
“We are very pleased to be a pioneer in building such a beautiful example for sustainable homes in Santa Monica,” said Lisa Ling. “Marco DiMaccio’s design has made a goal for energy independence into a home we have dreamed of.”
Click here to learn more about the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) and the LEED for Homes Certification Program.
A Client's Vision
Dr. Paul Song and Lisa Ling are not only the clients on this project, but also an integral part of the PUNCHouse team. They are driving force behind the success of this design as well as the overall direction of the project. Both Song and Ling deeply believe in the development of ecofriendly homes for all and the need to live an ecofriendly and independent lifestyle.
Lisa is a correspondent fro the Oprah Show and contributor to CNN's Planet in Peril, National Geographic Channel and Nightline. Prior to her recent globe trotting, Ling was known to millions of Americans as co-host of Barbara Walters hit daytime talk show, "The View." Most recently Lisa is the host and creator of a new show called "Our America with Lisa Ling" on the OWN Network.
Dr. Paul Song is a radiation oncologist in Los Angeles and President of Cytotech Labs, a cancer research lab on the cusp of innovative and very promising cancer treatment therapies. He has appeared on Larry King Live and is a contributor on CNN as an expert in his field of medicine.
Both Paul and Lisa are committed to the promotion of Green building systems and are interested in doing their part to develop public awareness for this PUNCHouse Project 234 and the systems and products that are being implemented so that all of us may live an independent and Green life.
To learn more about Lisa Ling please visit www.lisaling.com
Marco Dimaccio is an acclaimed designer who brings a playful and Green approach to the world of design. With a background in architecture, product design and film work, DiMaccio developed PUNCHouse - a company dedicated to creating ecologically sustainable architecture.
DiMaccio does not believe that "eco" needs to translate into rustic, banal, run-of-the-mill design. On the contrary, he feels that ecodesign should be colorful, daring and bold, like nature itself. DiMaccio believes that there should be a symbiotic relationship between the aesthetic quality of the architecture and the natural beauty of its surrounding environment.
Design Strategies & Industry Resources
1st Time Achievements
- 100% Waste diversion - Deconstructed the existing structure by recycling and reuse. Nothing went to landfill. This is the first project to achieve this goal in Santa Monica California.
- PUNCHouse 234 has been accepted in the Case Study Program by Southern California Gas Company, a Sempra Utility.
- Habitat for Humanity obtained items not reused for the new structure and sold them through their building products retail store.
- ECHS – Environmental Charter High School located in lawndale, CA is an award-winning public charter high school with a unique experiential learning design for college prep. ECHS used PUNCHouse Project 234 as a learning tool to better understand how to build a sustainable structure. The onsite construction trailer was built from the materials of the old existing home. We used this opportunity to develop a program where the graduating class will learn how to build an 8' wide x 20' long trailer that will then be used on their campus as a learning lab or student council room, etc. Each graduating class will have the opportunity to give back to the school by building one of these trailers and also learn at the same time.
• Ranked in top 3% of Public High Schools by U.S. News & World Report
• 2010 Race to Top Commencement Challenge Finalist to have President Obama give commencement address
- An alliance with the National Resource Defense Fund (NRDC) helps to develop awareness of sustainable building methods and lifestyle used in PUNCHouse Project 234.
- Waste Management worked with PUNCHouse Project 234 to help deconstruct the existing structure rather than demolish it. This way, all the reusable material could safely and easily be donated to Habitat for Humanity. The remainder of materials were sorted for recycling on-site and delivered by Waste Management directly to their respective recycling centers.All told, we helped recycle 60 tons of wood, concrete, drywall and metal. Roughly another 60 tons of wood, brick, stone, windows, doors, cabinets and fixtures were donated to Habitat for Humanity. And it all added up to a 100% diversion rate.
General Building of Core & Shell
- Foundation and all masonry using concrete mixed with 30 percent fly ash.
- Eco Building Products is the premier manufacturer of proprietary wood products coated with Eco Red Shield™ an exclusive non-toxic, eco-friendly chemistry that protects against mold, wood-rot, termites and now fire. In addition, our products virtually eliminate the need for pesticides to control termites, not to mention the costly repairs and remodeling associated with termite damage and wood-rot.
- Goldbrecht window and doors are made from high-quality aircraft grade recycled aluminum.
• All units were made with a thermally broken profile for exceptional energy performance. Aluminum frames normally allow heat or cold to be easily conducted into the interior of the home. The thermal break acts as a barrier and stops heat or cold from entering or exiting the home. Furthermore, it prevents condensation from occurring on the interior of the windows when the interior and exterior temperature differs.
• Use of dual insulated high performance Low E glazing with exceptional U-values
• Windows are equipped with special multipoint locking hardware for exceptional weatherproofing and therefore higher energy efficiency
• The integration of the Vitrocsa Invisible wall sliding system into the project is a fine example of how exceptional energy performance can be combined with extremely thin sightlines and unusually large sizes. The Vitrocsa sliding door system can be built to a panel size of over 100 sqf while still featuring only a 3/4" profile, the slimmest in the world.
- Henry open & closed cell spray foam hybrid insulation creates minimal heat transfer & thermal bridging with sound deadening properties.
- Using Henry Enviro White Roof Coating #HE687 will help you protect the environment by... • reducing roofing waste sent to landfills. • reducing “heat island” effects by reflecting 88% of the suns rays. • reducing air pollution.
- PEX Plumbing used instead of traditional copper plumbing.
- High Efficiency Lighting using LED technology by Revlite reduces energy consumption 85% when compared to traditional lighting sources.
- Panasonic ENERGY STAR® rated ventilation fans to improve indoor air quality. “Panasonic stresses a ‘build tight, ventilate right’ platform to remind us of the importance of pairing these insulating methods with proper home ventilation,” said Ling. “We knew by choosing to install energy-efficient Panasonic ventilation fans in the home that we’d be moving one step closer to our goal of living a healthy, green lifestyle.”
- Thermostatically controlled skylights throughout the home open automatically to keep the structure at a consistent temperate for passive ventilation.
- No formalized Air conditioning. Passive cooling design through natural air flow.
- Passive Solar Panel System supplies hot water to the Radiant Heated floors as well as all domestic water heating needs & heating of the swimming pool.
Solar Photo Voltaic System
- An 18kw Solar photo voltaic system using panels by Sanyo will help us achieve a Net Zero Structure by creating energy for the home as well as the electric cars.
- Phat Energy designed and installed the 18kw Solar photo voltaic system. 64 PV panels were used to obtain enough energy to power this home and electric vehicles plus store the additional unused energy in an advanced lithium ion battery backup system by GESS that will sell the unused energy back to the power company.
- GESS (Global Energy Storage Systems) is an Energy Storage System that works in conjunction with the Solar array, enabling it to provide electricity at night or when the Power Grid is down. Energy comes from the solar array, is stored in the Storage System (batteries), and is always available to automatically provide electricity for critical needs in the house. Clean, safe, easy installation with no maintenance. Long lasting with up to 15,000 charging cycles (up to 40 years).
- Schneider Electric, manufacturers of electrical components which invert the solar energy into a usable commodity.
- Juice Bar automobile charging station taps into the P.V. solar panels and GESS battery storage system to provide free energy for charging electric vehicles.
Rainwater Collection - Landscape
- Bio-Solutions & Orenco Systems created an underground 5000 Gallon Rain Water harvesting tank that will supply all of the needed water for irrigation.
- Landscape design with drought tolerant California native plants incorporating a Rainbird high efficiency irrigation system. The ESP_SMT irrigation controller utilizes historical and real-time weather data to determine the on-site current weather conditions and optimum watering needs of the landscape.
- Smartgrass synthetic turf has the appearance of a golf course quality turf with low maintenance and zero water used to keep this lawn looking perfect.
- Barrier Reef Pools are fiberglass and therefore do not need harsh chemicals to keep the water clean. Concrete pools breed and hold bacteria, need to be re-plastered and crack. Barrier Reef Pools need very little maintenance and will keep your water clean with the same amount of salt as a human tear.
- Pentair - A recent study by California utility Pacific Gas & Electric concluded that among its customers pool pumps were “almost always the largest single electrical end-use” in a single-family home. Switching all of the nation’s 5 million in-ground pools to a Pentair variable speed pump would save more than $3 billion or the output of 16 500-megawatt power plants. The UltraTemp heat pump used in this pool produces up to 5.8 times more heat at the same cost as a conventional gas or electric heater. A salt chlorine generator converts a small amount of ordinary table salt—roughly a teaspoon per gallon—into pure chlorine. The pool owner no longer needs to buy, store, and add harsh chlorine products manually. The LED lights used in this pool use only 70 watts to create the same light output as a typical incandescent pool light does at 500 watts.
- Pool Cover Specialist keep the water where it needs to be. In the pool with little evaporation and greatly increases the water temperature to lighten the heating load of the pool.
Appliances, Fixtures & Finishes
- LifeSource Water Systems delivers clean, safe delicious water to every faucet and shower head in your home.
Why choose a LifeSource System:
1. Gentle on Hair & Skin
2. Replaces Bottled Water
3. Long Life - Low Cost - No Maintenance
4. Delicious water for less than a penny per gallon, lasting longer than 15 years without a filter change!
5. Environmentally Friendly
6. No salt or chemicals, No wasted water and No bottles.
- Electrolux - ICON appliances are stylish and flexible, and have intuitive performance, so you can create a kitchen that is exactly right for you.
- High Efficiency Kitchen and Bath Fixtures by Kohler which include a waterless urinal, touchless faucets, water saving toilets and vanities that are the industry leader with ultra-low emissions.
- No and low VOC Paint, Stucco, Glues and Sealants used throughout the structure.
- ECO by Cosentino is a leading line of eco-friendly surfacing material composed of 75% post-industrial and post-consumer recycled raw material, including mirrors, glass, and porcelain bonded together by a corn oil resin.
- Silestone by Cosentino® is a natural quartz surface available in more than 60 designer colors. Silestone is scratch, stain and scorch resistant, and is proven to be a cleaner and safer surfacing material, offering the unique attributes of built-in antimicrobial protection that safely fights the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew.
- Custom kitchen by Christopher Peacock Home produced refined modern kitchen cabinets with FSC walnut that is hand built in the USA.
- Oceanside Glass are pioneers of artisan handcrafted glass tile, today each piece of tile continues to be sculpted from molten recycled bottle glass, cast and cut by hand custom for you.
- Smith Laredo Tiles are makers of some of the finest concrete tiles and are manufactured in a manner that is sustainable and efficient while maintaining a high level of fine finish.
- Imrae Coatings seal and protect all of the porous surfaces to protect and maintain the concrete surfaces free of staining and dirt buildup which eliminates the need for harsh cleaners.
- Since space utilization, clean lines and the use of reusable materials is paramount in the design of PUNCHouse Project 234, the sound-system selected was to reflect the designer's criteria for PUNCHouse as well. Amina Technologies out of Huntingdon, Cambs, the UK leader in invisible DML panels (Distributed Mode Loudspeakers) design, provided the perfect solution. Capable of being plastered-over, wallpapered, painted or even be covered in wood veneer, their AIW series loudspeakers provides High-quality sound with zero space- nor visual- impact, and can produce a dazzling 105dB each.
- Herman Miller furniture is striving to have one of the first net zero manufacturing facilities in the USA. Makers of the finest office, home and sustainable furnishings.
- Hunter Douglas window coverings cell-within-a-cell structure provides more than double the energy efficiency of a window. Remote controlled operation for effortless privacy and beauty. They are the first and only window shades to qualify for the tax credit without add-on insulation systems. With 180 color and design choices, Duette Architella offers an extensive interiors design palette. They also preserve their true color and texture in bright sunlight, especially with opaque fabrics. The Duette Architella design is also the only honeycomb product to provide superior pleat retention for perfect symmetry both front and back.
- Sherwin Williams Harmony Interior Latex is a zero-VOC, low-odor paint, ideal for rooms such as nurseries. The waterborne coating has excellent hide, meaning it covers in fewer coats. Plus, it has additives that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew on the surface of the paint film. Beyond having low-to-zero VOCs, paint must perform well over time. After all, the more durable a product is, the less often a room needs to be repainted — which also benefits the environment. For this reason, Sherwin-Williams offers Duration Home Interior Latex, perfect for high-traffic areas and anywhere long-wearing durability, antimicrobial properties and stain resistance are a must.
- EcoSmart Fire is much more than a flicker of an ingenious idea. It’s a compelling reality. EcoSmart Fireplaces are environmentally friendly vent free open fireplaces that produce a wonderfully warm dancing flame.
- Emtek makers of high quality door hardware, made in the USA and is manufactured less than 20 miles from PUNCHouse Project 234.